top of page

Could You Claim A £156 Weekly Benefit From The DWP?

Could You Claim A £156 Weekly Benefit From The DWP?

If you suffer from a neurological condition, you could receive financial help, up to £156 weekly, from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). The latest figures show that at the end of April 2022, nearly three million people across the UK claim support through Personal Independence Payments (PIP), with just over one in three claimants (35%) receiving the highest level of award.

Data also revealed there are now over 384,000 people who receive support through PIP for 70 neurological conditions, the Daily Record reports. This includes around 317,000 thousand people in England. Seventy neurological conditions are supported through PIP; below, you can see which ones are included.

Cerebrovascular disease

  • Cerebrovascular accident (stroke)

  • Cerebrovascular disease - Other / type not known

  • Transient ischaemic attacks (TIAs)


  • Cataplexy

  • Generalised seizures (with status epilepticus in the last 12 months)

  • Generalised seizures (without status epilepticus in the previous 12 months)

  • Narcolepsy

  • Partial seizures (with status epilepticus in the last 12 months)

  • Partial seizures (without status epilepticus in the last 12 months)

  • Seizures - unclassified

Non-epileptic disturbance of consciousness

  • Disturbances of consciousness - Non-epileptic - Other / type not known

  • Drop attacks

  • Non-epileptic Attack disorder (pseudoseizures)

  • Stokes Adams attacks (cardiovascular syncope)

  • Syncope - Other/type not known

Movement disorders

  • Blepharospasm

  • Essential tremor - benign

  • Huntington's disease

  • Movement disorders - Other / type not known

  • Parkinson's disease

  • Parkinson's syndrome / Parkinsonism

  • Torticollis

  • Tourette's syndrome

  • Writer's cramp

Multiple sclerosis

Benign tumours

  • Neurofibromatosis

  • Tumours - benign - Other / type not known



  • Dizziness - cause not specified

  • Headache - Other causes of / cause not known

  • Migraine

Head injury

  • Head injury - Cognitive and sensorimotor impairment

  • Head injury - Cognitive impairment

  • Head injury - Sensorimotor impairment

Spinal cord compression

  • Paraplegia (traumatic)

  • Spinal cord compression - Other causes of / cause not known

  • Syringomyelia / Syringobulbia

  • Tetraplegia (traumatic)

Degenerative neuronal diseases

  • Degenerative neuronal diseases - Other / type not known

  • Motor neurone disease

Cerebral palsy

  • Cerebral palsy - Ataxic

  • Cerebral palsy - Athetoid

  • Cerebral palsy - Diplegic

  • Cerebral palsy - Hemiplegic

  • Cerebral palsy - Other / type not known

  • Cerebral palsy - Quadriplegic

Spina bifida


  • Ataxia - Friedrich's

  • Ataxias - Other/type not known


  • Charcot Marie Tooth disease

  • Diabetic neuropathy

  • Guillain Barre syndrome

  • Neuropathies - Other/type not known, including peripheral

Peripheral nerve injury

  • Brachial plexus

  • Peripheral nerve injury - Other / type not known

Disease of muscle

  • Dermatomyositis

  • Dystrophia myotonica

  • Muscle - Other diseases of / type not known

  • Myasthenia gravis

  • Polymyositis

Muscular dystrophy

  • Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy

  • Muscular dystrophy - Becker type

  • Muscular dystrophy - Duchenne

  • Muscular dystrophy - limb-girdle

  • Muscular dystrophy - Other/type not known


  • Creutzfeldt - Jacob disease (CJD)

  • Infections - Other

  • Poliomyelitis and post-polio syndrome

  • Prion diseases - Other/type not known

Other neurological disorders

  • Neurological disorders - Other / type not known

A claimant’s main disabling or medical condition is recorded during their assessment. The categories and groupings are based on DWP data.

To claim PIP, you need to:

  1. Call to start your claim. You’ll then be sent a form that asks about your condition.

  2. Complete and return the form.

  3. You might need to have an assessment if more information is required.

If you live in Scotland, you need to apply for Adult Disability Payment (ADP) instead.

You can find all the information, plus information on how to get more information or make a claim, HERE.

Information correct as of 25th September 2022


bottom of page