top of page

Cold Weather Payments Are On The Way!

Can you claim extra cash to help keep warm?

Low-income families will receive a Cold Weather Payment from the government as freezing temperatures sweep parts of the UK.

Benefit claimants across hundreds of postcodes in England and Wales will receive £25 over the next two weeks due to the current cold snap triggering the Cold Weather Payments scheme, which comes into effect if average temperatures hit freezing or below for seven days in a row.

Payments won't be available to everyone on the scheme, as it's based on the region you live in; currently, it's expected that the payment will be made to homes across north-east England, Cumbria, west Wales and as far south as Oxfordshire.

The Warm Home Discount

I know I've spoken about the Warm Home Energy Scheme before, as have many other bloggers and publications, however, I am active on a few debt-related forums, and reading through what people are going through and asking, it has become apparent that there are still a large number of people who didn't know the scheme existed, or if they did they didn't think they would qualify or didn't know how to find out if they are eligible, so I wanted to mention it again quickly.

It's worth checking with any relatives or friends you think might qualify for the scheme to ensure they know about it and how to claim, as it's not a time to miss out on extra money.

The scheme offers those who qualify for the help £150 off their electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023

The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill between October 2022 and March 2023.

Energy suppliers will automatically apply the payment to your energy account as long as you were receiving certain benefits on or before Sunday, August 21st 2022. If you weren't receiving these benefits until after this cutoff date, you wouldn't be able to get the grant this time, but if you are still receiving the benefits next year, you may be able to apply for the 2023/2024 period.

These are the benefits you need to be in receipt of to be able to apply for this additional financial help:

  • Income support

  • Income-based jobseeker's allowance

  • Income-related employment and support allowance

  • Housing benefit

  • Universal credit

  • Child tax credit

  • Working tax credits

  • Pension credit guaranteed

  • Pension credit savings credit

You can check and see if you are eligible using this HMRC checker

You’ll need the following:

  • the name of your electricity supplier

  • details of any benefits you receive

You’ll also need to know the size and age of your property. You can find this:

  • on Energy Performance of Buildings Data if your property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

  • on property documents, like your tenancy agreement or insurance paperwork

If you live in a park home, you’ll need to apply for the Park Homes Warm Home Discount Scheme instead.


bottom of page